Resident repair responsibilities

You are responsible for the decoration and fixtures and fittings inside your home as listed below.

What am I responsible for?


  • Maintaining gardens including hedges and trees
  • Keep garden clear of rubbish, disused cars etc
  • Sheds and outbuildings
  • Back garden path
  • Cleaning leaves from gulley grids
  • Clothes lines



  • Replacement of lost keys (including window lock keys) and forced entry when keys are lost
  • Internal decorations
  • Replacement of internal locks
  • Testing and cleaning smoke detectors
  • TV aerials
  • Repairs to door catches, door bells
  • Pests – rats, mice, fleas, ants and wasp nests
  • Fitting in and plumbing in kitchen fittings ie cookers, washers, etc
  • Minor repairs to kitchen unit drawers
  • Replacing broken or cracked glass where no Police Crime Report number has been obtained
  • Repairing or renewing floor covering


  • Replacement of WC seats
  • Stained internal sinks, WC or baths, etc
  • Blocked waste pipes where caused by tenant
  • Mixer taps and showers fitted by tenants
  • Works to washing machine plumbing
  • Bleeding radiators
  • Installing and maintaining washing machines/dishwashers
  • Taking steps to stop water in taps and pipes from freezing


  • Light bulbs and fluorescent tubes in dwelling
  • Damaged sockets
  • Resetting trip switches
  • Disconnecting and reconnecting cookers

Leaseholders and Repairs

United Communities has a number of shared owner leasehold properties.

The exact arrangements depend on the lease, but leaseholders are generally responsible for the repair and maintenance of their home.  We are sometimes responsible for providing routine services such as cleaning and lighting of communal areas.

Leaseholders must pay their share of the costs of managing and maintaining the common parts of the building. If the property is in a block on an estate, the leaseholder is also required to contribute towards the management and maintenance of the communal estate areas through service charges.

For independent advice, visit the Leasehold Advisory Service website.

Translate »