Hairdresser cutting hair

Self-employed and unable to work? You could be eligible for a grant

We know that some of our residents will be self-employed or contract workers, and may not be able to work at this time because of the coronavirus (COVID19).

We want to make sure that you are aware of the Government’s new Self-employed Income Support Scheme (SEISS). This new scheme was announced by the Chancellor, Rishi Sunak yesterday, 26th March 2020.

If you work for yourself or you are a contractor, and you can no longer earn an income due to COVID19, you may be entitled to this benefit.

What is SEISS?

  • SEISS has been introduced to support self-employed individuals (including members of partnerships) whose income has been negatively impacted by COVID-19.
  • The scheme will provide a grant to self-employed individuals or partnerships, worth 80% of their profits up to a cap of £2,500 per month.
  • HMRC will use the average profits from tax returns in 2016-17, 2017-18 and 2018-19 to caculate the size of the grant.
  • The scheme will be open to those where the majority of their income comes from self-employment and who have profits of less than £50,000.
  • The scheme will be open for an initial three months with people able to make their first claim by the beginning of June.

How do I access it?

The Government has said that you should not contact HMRC now. HMRC will use existing information to check potential eligibility and invite applications once the scheme is operational. HMRC will then pay the grant directly to your bank account if you are eligible for this income support.

You can find out more details about SEISS and whether you are eligible here. There is also information about the scheme on the GOV.UK website.

We are here to help
Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you are having any difficulties in paying your rent. We will do everything we can to help you stay in your home. Contact your Housing Officer on 0117 942 4600.

If you have been contacted by HMRC to say that you are eligible for SEISS, please let your Housing Officer know so that we are aware of your current situation.

Once your grant has been processed, and you are receiving this benefit, we can discuss how we can work together to help you pay any rent arrears.

Translate »