Find a new home

With United Communities you can rent a home, swap your existing home and own or part own a home. For more information on these methods click below.

How to rent

To apply for one of our rented homes you will need to join the Choice Based Letting (CBL) scheme in your area as we don’t keep our own housing register. This makes letting properties more transparent and gives you more choice about where you want to live.

Choose the area you want to rent in from the list below:

North Somerset   |   Bath and North East Somerset   |   South Gloucester   |   Bristol City   |   Swindon

Choose from the areas above to find out more information...

You will need to register an application with Bristol Choice Based Lettings

Call: 0117 922 2400

You will need to register an application with Homesearch

Call: 01225 396118

You will need to register an application with Home Choice North Somerset

Call: 01934 426330

You will need to register an application with Home Choice South Glos

Call: 01454 868005

You will need to register an application with Swindon HomeBid

Call: 01793 463181

Buying or selling your home

Right to Acquire

If you are currently renting from us and would like to purchase your home, you could qualify for the Right to Acquire scheme. This enables eligible tenants of eligible properties to purchase their homes at a discount. For more information read our Right to Acquire factsheet or call us on 0117 942 4600. Alternatively you can email us at

Shared Ownership

Shared Ownership is a government scheme designed to help people who are unable to afford to purchase a property in the open market. Shared Ownership works by allowing eligible individuals to part-rent, part-buy a property.

In order to access shared ownership properties you should register with the Local Help to Buy Agent for your area. The Help to Buy agent for Bristol and South Gloucestershire is Help to Buy South ( or 0845 6041122) and you can register online. Once you have registered and been approved for shared ownership, you will be able to browse the properties in your area and apply for any that you feel are suitable.

We will advertise any new build shared ownership properties on our website, on the Help to Buy South website and on the website of our sales agent, Live West.

We work in partnership with Live West who act as our agent for both new build shared ownership sales and resales of existing shared ownership properties.

If you are an existing shared owner looking to sell your share, please contact us to arrange this. We will then instruct Live West to co-ordinate with you to market your property and find an eligible buyer.  You will need to sign up to a resale agency agreement with Live West, and their fee for a sale is 1% of the total value of your home (not just the percentage you are selling), plus VAT. This fee includes the affordability assessments required to confirm the buyer’s eligibility.

For more information read our Shared Ownership factsheet or call us on 0117 942 4600. Alternatively you can email us at

Swapping your home

If you have a United Communities tenancy then you could be able to exchange your property with another council or housing association resident anywhere in the UK. Register with homeswapper to find available properties, alternatively visit our office or call us on 0117 947 0501 for help with registration.

Please note residents must have their tenancy for at least one year and not have any rent arrears or recharge debts when applying for a home swap.

Translate »